Friday, May 30, 2014

Why Do We Say "Break a Leg"?

Is it Friday already?  This week flew by.  Perhaps because it was only 4 days.  Why can't all weeks be 4 days?  And why do we all say "break a leg" to dancers for good luck?  Is it because if we said, "don't break a leg" instead, then we would perhaps actually break a leg on stage?  Do we just say "break a leg" so that we don't jinx ourselves and others?

Okay.  That was WAY too much thinking for a Friday.

But, I've been hearing "break a leg" all week long because of my upcoming dance recitals, so it's just been something that I've been mulling over.

To say I'm nervous as heck would be an understatement.  I have dress rehearsal tonight, two shows tomorrow, and then two on Sunday.  I'm already jittery and just can't wait to get on stage and perform so that the jitters go away!


I'll be praying to the Dance Gods all weekend that I don't screw up and somehow make all the right moves.

Also, a shout out to the Wardrobe Gods, please help me keep all wardrobe malfunctions to a minimum.

I wonder if there is a God in charge of reminding me to breathe?  I'm going to need him on my side too.


Hope you all have great weekends that are full of fun and free of any wardrobe malfunctions.  I, on the other hand will be up to my eyeballs in glitter, sequin, sparkle, rosin, hairspray, lipstick, blush, safety pins, bobby pins, more glitter, and probably more sequin.  And come Sunday night around 7pm when the last show ends, you'll find me at a bar drinking an extra large Margarita.

8 comments:

  1. being "up to my eyeballs in glitter, sequin, sparkle, rosin, hairspray, lipstick, blush, safety pins, bobby pins, more glitter, and probably more sequin" sounds just perfect to me right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh you're going to do so great girl!! I so miss dance recitals!!! :) enjoy and BREAK A LEG ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck hun and HAVE FUN! Recital week was always my favorite, it's what you're working towards all year :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck my love!! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you've been breaking a leg this weekend! All of your IG pictures are pretty fabulous so I'll just assume you are! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your performances went well this weekend! My sister in law is part of a dance company here in Oklahoma City and they had a performance as well this weekend. The company she performs with is a modern dance company. This last season they've all be learning some aerial dance - I held my breath the entire show...what I would give to have her core muscles...

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I've always wondered too. My sister (who did theatre) told me it was bad to say good luck to a performer...like it was bad luck if you did...and so people said break a leg but I have no idea why or where it started.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out my blog! I do try my hardest to respond to each & every comment! Love you guys! =)